A Matter of Heart

R
Ragamuffin

A Matter of Heart

Post by Ragamuffin »

Of all the lines on a pastor’s resume for passion and calling or on a leadership search team’s list of “non-negotiables� for the next leader, where does “a heart for God’s people� emerge? Is it in “discipling,� “empowering,� or “equipping�? No – at their core these are “mind words.� What about “feed,� “tend,� and “love�? These were the “heart words� Jesus gave to Peter in John’s gospel.

As a part of a leadership development ministry, I have the opportunity to interact with lots of denominations and organizations globally. Sadly, these entities often make a practice out of sacrificing the flock for the sake of the tenure of a shepherd who has no heart for his/her sheep – much like Ezekiel describes in chapter 34. Megachurch programs which feed on sheep rather than feed them are legion. (I choose that last word deliberately - Luke 8:26-39) Still waters? Green pastures? Paths of righteousness? Not so much.

Abu-Jamal’s words convict me deeply, “I’ll sell the flocks to someone else before I let my sheep go to those who don’t care for them.� As the book noted, God is equally serious about the care of His people. The reminder of the priestly role in the Old Testament – helping people access God, reconcilers and dispensers of God’s grace – was refreshing and a reminder of the role we all share as the royal priesthood of the merciful High Priest, Jesus.
Rese Hood
Cary, NC

Return to “Day 2: PROVISION”