Great visual aid

j
jmccabe1

Great visual aid

Post by jmccabe1 »

I often get lost in abstract ideas about ministry. I want to care for students (I'm a campus minister), so my heart and mind give attention to these guys and look for opportunities to help them live in line with the gospel (Gal. 2:14), but when I begin thinking about it, it's often difficult for me to picture the reality of this care. To give an example, when I prepare to meet with a student, I try to pray for God's leading and any particular ways to serve this beloved individual. While that is a worthy prayer, I have been looking for a more concrete picture of what God is doing when I sit and talk with a student. What is this interaction doing? How is God working in this conversation and relationship for His glory? While I don't think the "staff" is the only image that could bring some clarity to these interactions, it is a wonderful way for me to visually prepare. I have the opportunity to simply "be in touch" with the "staff" of words and listening. I can "reach over the gap" that seems to separate a student from the Christian community or God Himself and gently "stay in touch" during times of depression or despair - even giving a "pull" back in the direction over the gap. It also was helpful to read that shepherds cannot be individually involved with every person or situation (97), but the "staff" at a church or ministry extends beyond the individual shepherd to reach more people in need.
Jay McCabe

Return to “Day 13: The Staff”