A matter of the heart

b
billyflip

A matter of the heart

Post by billyflip »

Abu-Jamal's words are piercing because here sits a man that his first instinct is to notice the heart. I realize that we often notice, or rather ask what a person does yet I think Abu-Jamal is close to the heart of our Lords intention for us to notice the heart. I learned to use my head as a filter to process information yet when I read this account and look at the scriptures, which remind me that I might want to let my heart inform my head more often than not.
I am also challenged that as a shepherd i need to take more notice of other's hearts!
g
gcts\mmccrum

A Matter of the Heart

Post by gcts\mmccrum »

I’ve also questioned “What does it take to be a shepherd (p.29)?� How do I know if I’m doing the right thing in life? Often the confirmation I come back to is that I have the “heart� for it. Through the years several people have looked me in the eye and affirmed my calling by saying “Mike, you have a pastor’s heart� or “Mike, you’re the only true pastor I’ve known.� God has implanted the desire in me to shepherd a flock of people. I don’t think one would last long in the pastoral ministry if he or she didn’t have the heart for it. It’s something only God can give.

I remember during seminary I had such a focused burden to pastor a small church upon graduation. I was deeply drawn to reading all the books about being a pastor and dreaming about what the pastoral ministry would be like. Some questioned the path I took, while others said, “Mike, follow your heart.� Thankfully, I chose to follow my heart and each time God opened the door to a shepherding role as pastor. I can’t agree more with the Jordanian shepherd—the pastoral ministry is all about having the heart for it.

I think you know you have a pastor’s heart when you realize that being a pastor is all you ever want to do. All I want to do is teach and feed the flock God’s word, to provide care-giving to the families and to lead them to the heart of the Father. I think when I die what will most likely be said about me is “He was a pastor.� I’m thankful for this calling and want to faithfully follow after the Chief Shepherd’s heart. I’ve been discouraged the past six months and recalling what it takes to be a shepherd has been an encouragement to me.
Mike McCrum

Return to “Day 2: PROVISION”