thoughtful hospitality

s
sutz

thoughtful hospitality

Post by sutz »

I like the image of leadership as "thoughtful hospitality"! I have been thinking about hospitality as the kind of overarching image and practice that could be very suited to the pursuit of community, discipleship and outreach in a postmodern context. In a day when people are starving for community, and pressed for time (and skill) to even prepare proper meals, hospitality can be a way to forge relationships, welcome people into a space and an attitude, and share out of God's bounty. It is a need and a gesture that crosses cultural boundaries.

To think of leadership as hospitality, as providing a feast, perhaps both literal and spiritual is very welcoming and winsome. It avoids hierarchical connotations. It puts the accent on invitation and welcome. It requires taking time and making space. I think it also requires a discerning host to give thought to whether this particular guest would be best served by the offer of one dish or several. The leader-host must not only do good preparation of the meal but also invite herself to the table to enjoy with the guests. The meals is more fun when there are a number of people present. The experience of eating together is as important as the food consumed.

Return to “Day 6: Greener Pastures”