Accountability for the Shepherd

d
darrenjpollock

Accountability for the Shepherd

Post by darrenjpollock »

The book helped me bridge the gap between biblical principles and practical application in contemporary ministry settings in pastoral accountability. Thinking about the present day, I am struck afresh by how we must walk the line between benevolence and authority (p.247)—to use the rod of authority (Psalm 2) and be the shepherd caring for the nursing ewes. I am mindful of when we need great discernment to care for the sheep, kick the goats, and chase the wolves. However, I know this is easier said than done. I worry I often hit the sheep and love the goats. Laniak was a helpful reminder to hold these tasks in a gracious tension and to pastorally lead with a wise and generous blend of compassion and authority. We must not delay or neglect the duty of protection, care, and discipline. I also reflected on how I could be cruel to those who were lost as I was, for my identity comes from being rescued and cared for by the shepherd.

Laniak gave me the tools to do this as I always remember whose flock I am shepherding. If we genuinely believe that God is the ultimate shepherd of his people, I am therefore called to be simultaneously responsible for the sheep and accountable to the owner. I am only a hired hand and will one day have to give an account of my employment. “ May the rest of my days seek to put my roots down into a biblical understanding of my identity as a shepherd, that I may care and steward the flock, big or small, the Lord has given me.

Return to “Open Forum”