The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

know, feed, lead and protect

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 16: While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fporter1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: know, feed, lead and protect Reply with quote

pg 117 "the watchful eye is not only taking stock of detailed information. Shepherds sometimes stand at a distance to see the 'big picture.' they may be intuiting the mood of the flock or reconsidering a major move in light of what they see. This kind of sight is a matter of perception, insight, instinct, and vision. These traits are essential for those involved in 'oversight.' "

I ask myself, “What does it mean to stand at a distance and see the big picture?” It is a matter first of Perception where I’m seeing things that might not be readily visible. Not so much a 6th sense but just what is on the periphery of my vision. I tend to look straight ahead, I don’t have more peripheral vision as would a sheep but I need to learn to see as they see but as their shepherd I have to take that sight to another level. That’s where insight comes in. This is seeing into and seeing what is not there with the naked eye. This does not mean superpowers though. It can come from reflection. Reflection in action becomes reflection on action as a way of learning as per Burns, Chapman, and Guthrie in The Politics of Ministry. Through time and prayer and reflection God will give me insight. For me I would see this insight as being necessary for instinct. Not animal instinct but spiritual God given instinct not so much naturally ingrained in me as learned. For me instinct is the difference between reacting and responding and through quite meditation and reflection and time spend with the great shepherd by natural reactive instincts become spiritual responsive instincts. Ultimately this all plays into have a greater vision for the kingdom of God. Seeing things as God see’s, I think that’s the definition of vision.

Pg 118 "Leadership in any organization - not the least the church - requires the capacity to do many tasks well. But at the center of the leaders role is something more subtle and subjective - discerning, attentive oversight. Leading means watching. It requires the ability to see and sense things like a Bedouin baheth (guide). This capacity is necessary whether we are pastors or parents, CEOs or coaches, classroom teachers or individual mentors."

Pg 118 "as leaders we also need to think more carefully about the impact of change. Like a baheth, we need to scout out a new area and carefully prepare our flocks for a major transition."

I am reminded of my seminary professor Tim Witmer – and his book the Shepherd Leader. Added to perception, insight, instinct and vision I would put it as he did, I need to “Know Feed Lead and Protect” my sheep. This is what God does for us.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 16: While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: