The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Matthew 25: Separating Sheep from Goats

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RevLDT72

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: Matthew 25: Separating Sheep from Goats Reply with quote

I have, for years, heard and considered the passage in Matthew 25 as one of judgment as “…he will separate people from one another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats” (Matthew 25:32). The imagery is more significant for me now as I consider the reasoning which follows. One group is applauded and inherits the kingdom because they properly and cared for and “shepherded” God’s people, the other group was condemned and cast into eternal fire because they failed to do these things, presumably tending to their own needs, wants and desires more than those of God’s people for whom they were responsible.

It is telling in this passage that there is no actual mention of “shepherd” here, but the implication seems absolutely present in the text, suggesting that the responsibility for shepherding God’s flock doesn’t fall solely to God’s shepherd leader but is delegated to all of God’s people. This further carries the mixed metaphor that we are all simultaneously sheep and shepherd, follower and leader, the comforted and the comforter.

This seems also to lead to fuller understanding of the oft stated (yet non-scriptural) statement that “sheep beget sheep.” When sheep are properly tended to, cared for, fed, shepherded, etc. they are more fruitful and carry on the process of regeneration in the flock as disciples doing the kingdom work of Christ who in turn inspire and empower others to do the same. This is the essence of disciples making disciples as Jesus instructed in Matthew 28:19-20.

I was, however, challenged in the initial statement of sheep and goats being separated, as it appears, from Laniak’s early descriptions of the activities of these animals, that each has its own role within the flock; goats sometimes even assisting the shepherd in guiding the flock. What I gather from looking at both contexts is that while there may be times that the two groups must be separated, there are also times that they work together, complementary to each other, ultimately carrying out the larger work of the kingdom. This is a blessed observation for me as I consider how each of us is uniquely created and positioned for specific purposes within God’s kingdom. As I consider the Matthew 25 passage, I am reminded that no matter the role we were created to fill, it is possible to abuse that position when we prioritize our own wants and needs above those of the flock, thereby damaging the flock. And hence, the judgment language is better understood.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: