The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Gatekeepers

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 20: Gatekeepers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbourbon

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Gatekeepers Reply with quote

While the people of God can be taken away from the under-shepherd while he sleeps, is idle, or has no interest; there remains a Master Shepherd who is constantly watching and guarding the entrance (Gate) in order to watch ALL sheep (Sheep and under-shepherd). That is the type of God we serve.
Oleander#1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the "best thieves are good shepherds" (p.142)

As I read the story in Day 20, I could not stop thinking about what happened at my church. In 1999, we had a major church split - that no one saw coming. For about a year or so, the pastor was opening the church doors to anyone who wanted to join. We all thought it was good as the church was going numerically not realizing that he was actually building a church within a church. When he had gathered sufficient support - claiming to be called of God - he took 75% of the membership.

Hindsight tells us how important it is to have spiritual discernment operating in the church. We need "spiritual gatekeepers" who spend time in relationship with God, and equipped to carefully listening for the sounds of treachery (p.142). Since then, the church has engaged in corporate intercession praying for all the members as well as their families who may be at risk of being stolen (p.143) - sleeping with one eye open like a panther (p.182).

Caring for the flock is an awesome responsibility and it takes work, "Hard Work! and we must be on guard for the entire flock (Acts 20:28). Yet I am confident that the ultimate safety of the flock and the under shepherd lies with the Chief Shepherd who through the work of the Holy Spirit enables us to know when we need to check under the wool to see what is really there (p.179) so that we can effectively provide, protect and guide those entrusted in our care. Father, help us to be better gatekeepers.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 20: Gatekeepers
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: