The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Good leaders trust God

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 5: Spring Up, O Well!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mzobec

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Good leaders trust God Reply with quote

How deep is my own well of faith? And just who really dug it? God or I? These questions were constantly on my mind as I reflected on Day 5. I love the picture of the deep well, connecting the life giving force of water to the dependent human in search for relief.
Do I know how to find the thing I really need when my tongue is parched an my mind is burned by the sun of ego? I’m sure I don’t. So this Day 5 is a day of warning to me. I was really not aware that there were two different water-from-stone-incidents concerning Moses. Trusting the exegesis and geographical knowledge of the author, this evidence explains well the drastic judgment of God. I am deeply convinced that the longer one lives in his ministry, the easier it can become to rely on one’s pastoral tricks, than on the one and only true Pastor.
What are my strikes on the porous limestone, producing already planned and expected results? I am afraid that some thing in my ministry are not part of His ministry at all. At this point I am not even worried about my flock (although I should). I am more worried that while the Israelites who received Moses water and were nourished by it, Moses himself is not blessed by his work.
In the same way I believe that people in congregations can be nurtured by wells dug by the power of the pastor (though of course this is in no way ideal and will not be sufficient in the long run) while the shepherd himself is left out, because the shepherd is leaving himself out intentionally. If I long to honor or impress people more than I long to serve and worship God the lifespan of my ministry could be dramatically short-lived.
I renounce any tendency in my ministry that uses tricks, skills and strategies „to accomplish heaven’s work.“ How silly of me to think that I can dig up something worthy to pass on. I want to believe (again) that my job is the hard work of digging in the power of the Spirit of God while relying an Him to show me where to dig, when to dig, what to receive and what to distribute to others. My prayer is that I will never be tempted to present a work of God to the people when really only wanting to display my own wisdom, knowledge, competence, and power. And may I be courageous enough to take my faith to the granite rocks, where a miracle and display of God’s glory must come only through and from the Source of everlasting water.
I want to be a good leader. So I must be good at trusting God.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 5: Spring Up, O Well!
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: