The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Under-shepherds

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkastens

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Under-shepherds Reply with quote

There is a key piece of Laniak’s argument that we, as pastors, are under-shepherds, that we serve on behalf of, and for, God. On page 248 he writes, “Bad or ‘false’ shepherds are those who use their position to serve their own needs. They forget whose flock they serve.” Bad shepherding arises from a forgetfulness (or outright rejection) that God is ultimately in charge. When shepherds begin to think that it’s all about them and their comfort, prestige, power, and position, then bad shepherding will result. The antidote then is constant reminders of and reflection on the fact that we serve at the good pleasure of the Good Shepherd. He is the Ultimate Shepherd and we are simply his servants.

Certainly this carries over to pastoral ministry today. I have read interviews with pastors who have experienced some kind of train wreck in their ministries (sexual misconduct, embezzlement, fraud, anger issues leading to hostilities and splits, etc.). Many of them point to some variant of a familiar refrain. As my grandmother used to say, they got too big for their britches and felt they were “above the law,” so to speak. In other words, they felt they were on top and in charge, and that they did not have to answer to anyone. And as such, they used their position to serve themselves.

Perhaps at least a partial antidote to these kinds of train wrecks is not just accountability partners and questions. Perhaps part of it should include regular meditation and reflection on our role as under-shepherds. Passages such as 1 Peter 5:2-4 should be regularly meditated upon and perhaps even memorized. Maybe before preaching we could sit and envision ourselves as the disciples in Luke 9:16 when Jesus gave them the food they were to give to the people. When we can stay dialed in to our rightful place as under-shepherds, we are more likely to stay faithful to the tasks God has entrusted to us.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: