The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

A Flock Cannot Be Left Alone

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 15: PROTECTION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwalker1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: A Flock Cannot Be Left Alone Reply with quote

Jeremiah 23:4 says, "I will raise up shepherds to tend them, and they will no longer be afraid or terrified". This is an amazing analogy of the dangerous conditions in which we reside. Sheep have multiple external threats including wolves, rugged terrain, starvation, thirst, and risks of being stolen or kill. Their life is in peril everyday. The author rightly points out that "a flock cannot be left alone" (page 109). Left alone, they will die. The only real protection they have is the love, skill, and effort of good shepherds. God is concerned about His people in the same manner in which the shepherd is concerned for his sheep. God Himself is the Chief Shepherd but He has entrusted their safety to under shepherds.

On an individual basis, I have the comfort of God because He promised to watch over me. However, He uses divine order that is enacted through people. This divine order keeps me safe. It includes rule of law, health system, food distribution, pastors, and other church workers to keep God's people safe. I am a pastor of a local congregation. However, I draw from the advice, support, and wisdom of my own pastor. My pastor listens to me. He cares for me. He does not judge me. He has a way of correcting me without ever harming me. This is my goal for the congregation that God has enabled me to shepherd. I am walking a delicate balance of watching over them but never being overbearing nor overpowering. I am learning to lead in the same manner in which I want to be led myself. The shepherd's task is not easy but the encouraging truth is that the Chief Shepherd watches over us. I am so thankful that he never left me alone.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 15: PROTECTION
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: