The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

God Took A Chance

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 3: Called to Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwalker1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: God Took A Chance Reply with quote

Day 3 describes an incident where a sheep wandered away from the fold and down into the muddy river. This is a good illustration of my life before I committed my heart to Jesus Christ. I was wandering in the wilderness of sin. After growing up in church, over a period of time I began to drift further and further into sinfulness. The drift started so quietly and subtly. Each step led me further away from God. I finally reached a point where I got "stuck". I was weighted down by sin in the same way that the ewe lamb was weighted down by the burden of its heavy wool.

The ewe struggling for his life was rescued by a shepherd who saw him and placed himself at risk to save him. In the same manner, the Good Shepherd came and rescued me. I love John 3:16 where God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son. Jesus left His rightful place in heaven and stepped into the muck and mire of a sinful world to save sinners. Philippians chapter 2 provides a wonderfully enlightening description that reveals the depth at which Jesus descended - a man, a servant, death, and death on a cross. I'm so grateful that He saw me. He rescued me just in time.

As a pastor, I need to have the same awareness and sensitivity that the shepherd and the Good Shepherd has. I have to pay attention to people who are drifting in the murky waters of sin. I must have the heart to respond. I must have the dedication and commitment to get involved and bring them back to safety and healing. At the same time, I must be aware that it may come at a risk and potential danger. God took a chance on me. I need to take chance on others.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 3: Called to Care
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: