The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Splagchnizomai

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jerichobrawler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Splagchnizomai Reply with quote

In both the Matthew and Mark sections of Dr. Laniak's book, he mentions the rare usage of the various inflections of the Greek word splagchnizomai. (See pages 176 and 189). This is one of the few Greek words I actually remember studying in seminary (it was a long time ago, and the memory space has been claimed by other things. Don't judge.) While this word is generally translated "to have compassion", it literally means "to feel/be moved down in one's bowels or guts". This is more than just a passing feeling of pity - this is a gut-wrenching empathy. This is compassion with a cost.

It is not surprising, then, that this word is reserved either for Jesus Himself, or for God (or, in parables, a figure standing for God). This is who our God is - a Good Shepherd who feels this kind of gut-wrenching compassion for His sheep - and let's face it, sheep are not particularly lovely. Sheep are dim-witted, foul-smelling creatures. How wonderful, though, that He seeks after us when we wander away, that He heals us when we are in distress, and that He even would lay down His life for us, His sheep!

Does this mean, however, that we, as undershepherds, are called to have this same kind of gut-wrenching compassion for our flocks? I think the teaching of Jesus shows this to be the case. As the Father sent Him, so He now sends us (see John 20). I know from my experience, however, that I cannot do this on my own. I love and care for and have compassion for some in my congregation. Some folks are simply more loveable than others. Others, however, are unlovely. Others are bullies - they abuse their fellow flock-mates. Others make the job of shepherding unbearable sometimes. So how do we maintain this kind of gut-wrenching compassion for God's sheep?

It has to be a work of grace. It has to be a supernatural gifting of the Spirit. It has to be our Good Shepherd Himself pouring His gut-wrenching compassion into our hearts, reminding us of His sacrifice for us, of His love even when we rebel and wander off like the stupid sheep we are. While we do have the responsibility to stay near to the Shepherd, to listen to His voice, and to follow Him, in the end, this is something else He has to do for us, to enable us to love as He has loved, and to have compassion as He has compassion.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: