The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

What is a shepherd?

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pastorcarterrob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: What is a shepherd? Reply with quote

I grew up one generation removed from the farm. My mother grew up on the farm in rural NC growing tobacco. She loves animals and one of her favorite animals are sheep! I remember going to the NC state fair and she having to look at and “talk to” each sheep that was there.

Raising sheep today and from what I hear from my mother 50 or so years ago and being a shepherd are nothing alike. We have lost the understanding what a biblical shepherd looks like.

I started this book on the plane flying to Israel for a 10 day tour of the area. I thought of the beginning of “Shepherds After My Own Heart” as we were going up the hill to Jerusalem and saw Bedouin shepherds on the side of the road. I realized they were more like Abraham than I would ever know.

To understand so much of the Bible, we have to go back and learn what God meant when he said shepherd. What a shepherd looked like 2,000 years ago and how twisted our view of shepherds and raising sheep are in the 20th and 21st century America aren’t comparable!
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: