The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

John - Self-Sacrificing Shepherd

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KAMALFoo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: John - Self-Sacrificing Shepherd Reply with quote

I struggle with this particular image that Laniak raises. The flock is vulnerable before wolves (destructive leaders) and as shepherd we are called to risking our lives as an expression of protection. John’s image of the shepherd is one that makes the ultimate sacrifice for the flock. I am always concerned with how this plays out in the reality of ministry. How can we give up our lives for our flock and why is this necessary? Then I recalled two particular convictions I had in my Christian walk. First, Jesus would not ask us to do things that He Himself would never do? Did Christ as the Great Shepherd of the sheep, lay down His life for His flock? Most definitely. I can trust that if my Savior was willing to do so, then to follow suit is the only option. Secondly, to follow Christ is the denial of everything else. When Jesus called people to follow Him, all other things are forsaken. This is the cost to follow Jesus, take up your cross and even to hate your own life. This is the calling to simply follow Christ and to realize that my life is not my own, but was bought at a price. In remembering these two truths of Christ I find great comfort in being able to lay down my life for the sheep that have been entrusted to me.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: