The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Shepherd Metaphor

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmenke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Shepherd Metaphor Reply with quote

I have appreciated the concerted effort of this book to explore the shepherd metaphor in ancient culture and scripture, and how this term informs the work of leadership from a biblical perspective. Laniak notes, "Time after time, text after text, the shepherd is called back to serve as a frame of reference for evaluating leadership" (37). Often in my experience, when Bible students employ the word shepherd to describe the role of pastor, it is the attribute of care giving that is highlighted. Laniak's extensive analysis of the shepherd metaphor as it is found in the ancient near east and in the old and new testaments reveals the shepherd metaphor pointing to the leadership aspect of shepherding. I believe this is helpful for those of us in pastoral ministry who are often looked to for care giving, but not necessarily for authoritative leadership as under-shepherds to the Lord. In John 21 when Jesus calls Peter to feed and care for the sheep that belong to Jesus ("feed my sheep") he is using comprehensive shepherding terms that imply "herding" according to Laniak (222) that imply not only care, but oversight and leadership.

These thoughts go a long way toward bolstering a pastor's view of himself as not only caregiver but leader and this is helpful as we try to fulfill this call in today's church where people need to be led toward greater spiritual maturity.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: