The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Loving the Sheep While Moving the Flock

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 35: Think Flock
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corinthpastorbob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Loving the Sheep While Moving the Flock Reply with quote

Today is one of those readings that parallels right where I am in the ministry setting. As of next Sunday, we are changing our 8:30 service from a traditional worship format that has been in place for most of my 15-year pastorate to more of a blended service - at least on a 6-week trial basis. That is a "flock" decision with "sheep" implications.

Our total attendance was right at 200 when we started the 8:30 alternative to the 11:00 traditional service. Then we added a second 11:00 service, a contemporary service, about five years ago. Now our total attendance is over 500, with the contemporary service overflowing its cramped space in the Fellowship Hall - at least until we build a new building. Since we want to keep at least one traditional service (11:00) and the 8:30 service has the smallest attendance, we decided to try a new format at 8:30. This may relieve a little space pressure in the 11:00 contemporary. It also gives our growing congregation some new opportunities for worship leadership - since the teams at the 11:00 services are largely set. We won't know for sure until we try it, but it seems like the best decision for the flock.

But as soon as we raised the possibility, one member of our Spiritual Council (roughly comparable to elders) raised a "sheep" objection - what about all those folks, especially older people, who have been coming to 8:30 for 15 years precisely because they like the 8:30 time frame and traditional worship? She voted against the proposal. Another Council member was concerned enough to abstain. Five of us voted in favor.

Because of this concern for individual sheep, the pastors decided that making a public announcement, even if it was handled pastorally, was not enough. Depending on communication preferences, I wrote individual e-mails and letters to every regular 8:30 service, explaining the change. The Associate Pastor and I then hand delivered eight of those letters to the oldest and most faithful of the 8:30 attenders. In one of those cases, I hadn't been in their home for my entire 15-year pastorate. The critical goal was to treat the sheep with personal attention and concern when a flock decision affecting them was imminent.

So far, so good. Of course, we haven't even started the new format. But we have had no push back yet at all from the letters, visits and e-mails. A few 8:30 folks will just start going to 11:00 traditional. Most will at least give the change a try. Some are very enthusiastic.

Every one of them knows that they, as individual sheep, matter to the shepherd-team.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 35: Think Flock
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: