The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Hired Hands

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherd2Shepherd -> Servant Leadership
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaps13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Hired Hands Reply with quote

In commenting on Ezekiel 34, Dr. Laniak states, “Hired shepherds in the ‘real world’ were expected to be self-sacrificing in their work, increasing a flock’s numbers by careful attention to their needs. Those who were faithful were given a modest portion of the produce as pay” (p. 152). He goes on to note that there were some “shepherds who show no regard for the obvious needs of the flock” and “appear oblivious to the expectations inherent in their role as undershepherds.” In some ways I think that some things have not changed when it comes to pastoring the flock.

As I understand my role as a pastor, I am to be self-sacrificing and attentive to the needs of the flock. I have sought to do this. But, at times, the needs seem to be unending. On occasion, I have been tempted to ignore or turn a deaf ear to the needs of the sheep under my care – especially the ones that seem to always whine and complain. When this occurs, I am not being faithful to my call as a shepherd. It is not my role to do a job-for-pay. Rather, it is my call to be a shepherd. It is my role to care for the flock that has been entrusted to me.

I have seen “hired hands” that have shown no regard for the needs of the sheep – ignoring calls, not answering correspondence, not taking time to visit in the midst of crisis or need. I have known pastors who are not concerned about growing the church. I have heard pastors boast about their rights and neglect the needs of the flock.

As a pastor/shepherd, the flock is not my own. The flock that I tend belongs to the Creator God, the Lord of the Universe. I serve Him. When I forget that, I forget who I am and whose I am. I am not serving God, or the people, but myself.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherd2Shepherd -> Servant Leadership
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: