The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

among the sheep

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 14: Named and Known
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chdanrice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: among the sheep Reply with quote

The very end of this chapter tells of one senior pastor wanting his subordinate pastors to be out of their offices and among the sheep. This is what we call a ministry of presence. It is something I have enjoyed doing over the years and it is something I have always found challenging. Part of the challenge, perhaps the greatest part for me now, is simply making time to get out of the office. As I manage other chaplains now and work at a higher level of staff, I find myself tied down more to my email and computer in order to coordinate and work out issues and address concerns. I don't see soldiers as much as I would like and when I get out of my office to see other staff members it is usually for a purpose and to ask them something or to work together on a project...not usually just to know them better.

How can I do that today? It seems now I am barely keeping my head above the waters of work each day. I run from issue to issue and from meeting to event. I am good at leaving on time in order to be home at roughly the same time each night. I make that sacrifice and see other staff officers who don't who get more done. I know what I am doing is right and yet I feel the constant stress of barely completing tasks in time to avoid conflicts and deadlines and consequences.

Lord help me. I need to spend more time with the sheep. Nudge me out of the office.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 14: Named and Known
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: