The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Shepherds as Sheep

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrseibert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Shepherds as Sheep Reply with quote

In Psalm 23, David states, or perhaps sings, "The LORD is my shepherd" (23:1). When in his life he makes this profession of faith is unknown, yet I don't think it matters. Whether he was tending his father's flock as a shepherd in his early years or caring for his Father's flock as king of Israel later in life, David knew that he, himself, also had a shepherd of his own. "The LORD is my shepherd," he insists. What a remarkable comfort this must have been: to know that there was someone caring for him and watching over him, even as he was entrusted with the protection, provision, and guidance of others. This is truly a comfort to me!

Even more, this is a declaration, that even as others are dependent on him, he also is dependent upon God. As Laniack says, "Psalm 23 is a reminder that even the king--especially the king--was dependent on the God of Israel for personal nurture and guidance" (114). The same is true for all shepherd-pastors. The more we depend upon God, the more we are enabled to serve as pastors.

I know that I need the very same things that my congregation needs. In fact, until I know this to be true, I don't belong being a pastor. After all, David reminds us of all we need from the Lord. In Psalm 23, the Lord "makes...leads...restores...comforts...prepares...anoints...follows." As I receive this care from God, then I can understand what others really need, I can share with them what I have from God, and I can pastor my flock in the way the Lord personally shepherds me.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: