The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Leadership is Guidance

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 28: GUIDANCE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterlim23

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Leadership is Guidance Reply with quote

It frustrates me to no end when I see leaders who use only the "rod" to move the flock from one destination to another. It further frustrates me when I see the same leader using the rod to take the flock to places that only benefit him or her and not the flock. It is a shame that leaders...let me rephrase this...it is a shame that those who are in "positional" leadership use agressive and forceful methods to push and prod the flock in order that their agenda is met so that they can reap the rewards of acclamation from others.

I believe Dr. Laniak is spot on in describing leaders/shepherds as ones who provide guidance. Yes, situationally speaking, there are times when the shepherd needs to be direct, perhaps even forceful. However, generally speaking, the shepherd should guide, motivating the flock to go toward a vision that will benefit everyone. Guidance is not being a dictator. Guidance is leadership that motivates, inspires, persuades and influences because there is a clear vision of where the shepherd is taking the flock that ultimately benefits the entire community. This destination does not reap rewards solely for the shepherd. It is a place that will benefit the entire flock/community and most importantly honor and glorify the chief shepherd, God.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 28: GUIDANCE
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: