The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Theological Dieticians ... Feeding the Sheep

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kelly5966

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Theological Dieticians ... Feeding the Sheep Reply with quote

This seems to be a common discussion in my circle of pastoral relationships. What to feed the sheep? The tension exists between what they want to eat, and what they need to eat. Before you consider the issue to be trite, let me illuminate your thinking. As undershepherds, we are ultimately accountable, and responsible for everything on the 'menu' of the church. The implications influence everything and everyone within the walls of the local church. By definition, worship includes not only song, but sermon.
The content of each is critical in order to maintain a healthy balanced diet. The question - what diet? This begs the question - what is the ultimate purpose and intention of the sheep?
It is possible that feeding the sheep is not even the issue for many in ministry - maybe it's more about feeding one's ego. How many? How much? How can we get more? Preoccupation with numbers that feed a wanting ego. Historical record is clear that an organization will grow numerically, if we give the consumer what they want. Timothy characterized the consumer as those who will not, " ...endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, 4 and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths (2 Timothy 4:3-4). When these folks drive past our churches to the church down the street with the consumer-driven mentality - what then?
In this sense, we are theological dieticians. The role should not be underestimated, as the consequences for weekly decisions are critical.
What of those who feed the sheep, only to be fleeced for personal gain and profit. Again, the type of 'feed' can impact a given response in the mind and heart of the flock.
Suggestions on a well-balanced diet, from a biblical perspective? I look forward to hearing your comments ...
Hot Springs Village, AR
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: