The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Water

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 4: Streams in the Desert
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robGCJAX

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Water Reply with quote

I walked the Camino de Santiago in 2010. I prepared some for the pilgrimage but not enough. I wanted the trip to be an adventure and not a well scripted trip. I knew I needed water. I brought two 500ml water bottles with me. Water is heavy, so you only want to bring what you need. I started out on day one from St. Jean with the bottles full. I walked in late July and it was very hot. I made it to the first stop, Orison. Orison is only 7 kilometers from St. Jean but those seven kilometer are a steep ascent up in to the Pyrenees. I was very thirty when I reach the fountain provided for pilgrims. I gulped bottle after bottle of water. I was never so happy to drink just plain water.

I stopped for lunch, rested up, refilled the water bottle and walked on. The first days walk is a long one. I finished off the two water bottles filled at Orison long before reaching the summit. I was back where I started desperately in need of water. A group of Spanish bicyclists showed me a place where water that was trickling down from the rock face. Again I gulped my fill. Again I was thankful for simple water. But this time I was more aware of the goodness of God in providing the water. Water from a rock, how much more biblical can you get.

I struck out again resupplied. But again I ran out of water. This time it happened at the mountain crest. I missed a turn and walked for an hour in the wrong direction. Once I realized I was lost, I also realized how thirsty I was. I prayed for water. And I walk back in hopes of finding where I had gone wrong. Instead of finding a maker I found a watering through for the numerous cattle feeding in the high mountain pastures. The water's surface was covered with foaming cow spit. I tried to get water from the pipe that kept the trough supplied but could not get past the metal guard protecting it from the thirsty cattle. So I used my hand gently to clear an opening in layer of saliva and then filled my bottles to the full. I drank deeply. Trying not to think about the cow spit or the funny taste. Again I was grateful. Again I knew that God had provided.

I finally made it to a stopping point late that night. As a result of that longs day’s walk I learned to appreciate more fully what it meant to be thirsty. I learned that when you are frightenly thirsty that water is what you desperately want. I learned that God provides. He provided through a pilgrims water fountain which was placed on the way for that purpose. He provided through pristine water form a mountain rock. And he even provided water from a source that was not as appealing as the first two. I knew my need that day. I knew what I wanted to satisfy that need. And I knew God provided. I was made more aware of how God meet me at the point of my many needs and provides for me. He provides in ways I love and in ways I do not. But still he provides

I like the shepherd in these first few storied have come to value water and the source of that water.

1 Corinthians 10:4
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
“and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they were drinking from a spiritual rock which followed them; and the rock was Christ.”
rrk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Profound Thirst Reply with quote

What a great story. I'm impressed and envious you walked the Camino de Santiago! It's hard to fully appreciate water in a society where one can just turn on the tap and out it pours, hot or cold, upon demand. I also think of times in my life when I was thirsty, really thirsty, and did not have ready water to drink. Once this happened while on a long road march in the Army. I drank my canteen too fast, and was too afraid to let my Drill Sergeant know I was out of water. I will never forget that feeling of profound thirst. If nothing else, I suppose this is one thing we can give thanks for in the deserts of our lives: that at those times God enables us to be truly grateful for the quenching renewal of Living Water.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 4: Streams in the Desert
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: