The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Productivity Thoughts

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 33: Productivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phargrove

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Productivity Thoughts Reply with quote

In his discussion of the sheep’s very effective use of land and being used throughout its lifespan and even at death, a discussion of spiritual productivity follows. From what the sheep does naturally and intrinsically (for example, producing milk) production is garnered.

He makes the point that with the right nutrition, Christians become sources of life-giving products to others. And yet he makes the distinction of productivity simply being about busyness and activity. Rather, it should be seen in terms of a life that expresses itself in Christ-like character. Laniak asks the question of recognizing the gifts given by the Holy Spirit in our own lives and then how we are using those gifts to bless others.

The hard issue with spiritual productivity is that it is harder to measure. How does one do it? What metrics are used? Is it how fat your “flattery file” is with notes and emails from parishioners? Are people nourished by our spiritual products? Sometimes we know, others times we do not. I know that I can be blessed by another and their ministry and it can have a very positive effect on my life, but I do not take the time to let them know. A way to combat this is to take the time to let others know when they have blessed us spiritually either verbally or in writing. If it is writing, expressing more than “I really enjoyed your sermon” and instead highlighting specific things that related to you is beneficial.

Laniak also asks if we are “driving our flocks to religious activity or encouraging spiritual productivity.” This can be where culture’s definition of productivity and the deeper issue of life in the Spirit productivity can at times clash. It gets played out like this: If I can encourage someone to religious activity in the particular ministry activity that I am involved in or need leadership to or want to delegate, I can make the subtle assumption that them being involved and taking a leadership role is spiritual productivity. The two are not necessarily exclusively but sometimes religious activity can mask or take the place of the harder work in the soul of spiritual productivity.

Also, I know myself well enough to know that this person being involved in religious activity that I am leading it probably will make me look better because I am keeping the religious machinery running and humming. I have to guard against this so that I am not blocking spiritual growth for church busyness. The reality is that the latter gets more applause and is more measurable than the former.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 33: Productivity
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: