The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Our image in David's Leadership

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joseph Park

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Our image in David's Leadership Reply with quote

Our image in David’s leadership

David’s role as shepherd is a significant emphasis. David seeks to build a ‘house’ (temple) for the Lord, who had given him ‘rest from all his enemies around him’. As a king, David shows the idealization of Kingship. (P. 105) Under of David’s reign, Nathan taps deep into David’s own identity as a shepherd. One day, David counted his people but God didn’t want him to count His sheep. God gave him the punishment and taught David has usurped the role of Yahweh, by providing, violently, for himself. In my ministry, I have experienced the same that David did. When the church grow and grow, most ministers usually feel like to show how many people attend to their worship. It is wrong. All things are the result of God’s grace, protection, provision and guidance. We have to remember this fact.
And David represents himself as the military leader who has achieved peace; the wise, righteous and just judge who has taken up the cause of the oppressed. In pastoral terms, he is protector, provider and guide. Most importantly, he is the divinely appointed king who fears YHWH. (P106) I agree with this opinion. What is especially significant is the equation of the kingdom of the Davidic dynasty and the kingdom of God. The Davidic king is understood simply as God’s son, his designated representative on earth. (P.107) So Matthew started his gospel by mentioning the king David. David as a king protected, guided and provided his people with God’s heart. Therefore, King David showed the image of the true and good shepherd.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: