The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

We are Under-shepherd of God

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joseph Park

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: We are Under-shepherd of God Reply with quote

In the chapter four, the author describes that Moses is represented as God’s under-shepherd. Moses is the extension of God’s rule in their lives, the means of their provision, the agent of their deliverance. (P.87) In my ministry, I forgot the expression “Under-shepherd” of God’s mission. I have tried to control church members with my own authority since 2008 when I started to plant the Good Shepherd Church.
In our culture in South Korea, it is so crucial for leader to have the authority. So I was influenced by that culture. I thought I am the main leader of the church instead of God. I never thought I am a under-shepherd and there is no any leader instead of me. But I know everything is under the sovereign of God and God called me the leader and pastor for His sheep. Sadly I missed the spiritual point.
The author reminds me of the roles of shepherd in the wilderness such as protection, guidance, provision. When I go back to my past ministry, I just played a role as guidance. These days, Korean churches are struggle with finding the members who had studied in the cults. One of the church members joined the Bible study several times. Unfortunately, our church lost that member. When I read this book, I was so regretted that I didn’t do my best to protect God’s sheep.
In addition to, I have learned of the church, God’s people. Moses spent the last forty years of his life pleading for the lives of God’s (and his) people. (P. 90) The church is not mine but God’s. Most ministers in South Korea sometimes tend to think that the church and members belongs to theirs. Last year, The Kidok Time, our own denomination newspaper, reported the secret of ministers in financial problems. Most ministers used to use the finance of church as their own one. Furthermore, they misused their church members to serve their own desires such as cars, houses…etc.
Through this chapter, like Moses, we have to go back to the main purpose of God’s calling. Moses was, as a shepherd, a prophetic miracle worker, covenant mediator, military leader, priestly intercessor and source of divine direction and provision. He was the human instrument by which God comprehensively shepherd his flock. (P. 91) I like this expression, ‘the human instrument’ it is right for all minster.
JE

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Under-shepherd Reply with quote

I find it freeing to know that I'm not in control of the local church where I pastor. As the under-shepherd, I'm a hired hand. Yet, I'm not hired by a committee who singled me out nor a congregation who voted me in. Since God has placed me there, it's up to Him to keep me there. Additionally, it's His job to keep the flock. I'm there to tend or care for them as He directs.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: