The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Sheep Stealing

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 20: Gatekeepers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corinthpastorbob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Sheep Stealing Reply with quote

It’s hard to read this chapter as a pastor without pondering what my profession commonly calls “sheep-stealing.” Shuffling of “sheep” from one pen to the other is the most common way for churches to grow. Almost inevitably, the pastor of the church where the member left is at least tempted to think of the other pastor as a thief.

Normally, however, the most critical person in the movement from one pen to the other is the sheep itself. People will commonly say, “I wasn’t being fed,” or “They didn’t have anything to offer my kids,” or “That’s a dying church,” or “The pastor didn’t take care of me,” or “I couldn’t get along with so-and-so.”

I’ve tried to apply the Golden Rule when members of other churches come to me with those kinds of comments. If it were my member going there, what would I want the other pastor to do or say? I’ve developed “Questions to Ask When Changing Churches” to help those who come to Corinth reflect on why they’re leaving one church and joining another. This morning in my Pastor's Class I will hand out these questions for reflection and discussion -

(1) Why have I decided to change churches? (Be specific, and write down the reasons.)
(2) Am I moving from something or to something?
(3) Do I expect to be more committed or less committed to my new church than I was to the old one?
(4) Have I left more than one church over similar issues?
(5) Am I realistic in my expectations of flawed human beings (pastors, leaders, members)?
(6) Have I expressed clearly, fairly, and objectively to the pastor and/or lay leaders of the church I am leaving my reason for leaving?
(7) Have I made every effort to reconcile personal relationships even if I am convinced that it is time to move?
(8) Am I bringing any baggage with me that may affect my relationships in the new church, i.e., cause me to be less willing to form friendships?
(9) Is there any way the leaders of this new church can help me address any unresolved issues? Have I asked them to do so?
(10) Have I fulfilled my obligations and kept my promises in the church I am leaving?
(11) If the situation changed in the church I am leaving the day after I join my new church, would there be any regrets?
(12) If the pastor of my new church announced his or her resignation the day after I joined, would there be any regrets?
(13) Which church needs my presence and gifts more?
(14) Where will I best be able to put my experience and gifts to use?
(15) What are the evidences that God is leading me to make this change?
tsl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: great list! Reply with quote

Thanks for a very practical list, Bob. I hope others put it to use. One thing I've really appreciated in a pastor's prayer group in my area is the committment to respect each others' leadership. If someone visits any of their churches, the pastor will ask what church they've been a part of and, once they hear the name, they rave about the pastor of that church "who is a close friend of mine." This is such a great learning moment for so many "sheep" to realize that there is one flock and that, while it is broken up into sub-flocks, the undershepherds know each other well enough to stay in touch with "transfers."
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 20: Gatekeepers
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: