The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

“Our Lives Derivative of God’s Call”

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 14: Named and Known
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CharlesFalcone

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: “Our Lives Derivative of God’s Call” Reply with quote

It is profound to me as a Christian that all living things are derivative of some other living thing. Lambs are physically derivative of their parent Sheep! And since sheep are mostly domesticated through the world, they are owned by some Shepard who knows their name. We “belong” so someone else. And those we care for “belong” to us, in the sense that there is a legitimate relationship there of caring, council and responsibility. Jesus our great shepherd “calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.”(John 10:3) Again Jesus says “My sheep recognize my voice; I know them and they follow me.”(John 10:27) This is the precise way that Jesus shepherds us, vocally through the voice of scripture and the illumination of the Holy Spirit. God speaks to us through the scripture because it is a reflection of ourselves. And it is guidance to how we should be, and only where satisfaction lies. The scripture recognizes no incognito discipleship, as if we can follow the flock without a relationship with the shepherd. But perhaps this is what takes place largely in the church today. Parishioners “go” to a service. But they don’t interact with what occurs. They sing, but because other sing. They are quiet because others are quiet. They listen to words, but the ideas don’t penetrate their thoughts. They feed themselves at coffee hour, but there is no true fellowship. But when a crisis occurs, the sheep get shaken up. What I’m realizing is that’s my more important calling for ministry. I cannot only guide the culture of the church, my true calling is to reach lost souls by saying their name and guiding them to quiet waters. Am I as personal with the congregation, as God is personal with me? I cannot be an incognito pastor as well. Lord, help me care for your sheep as you care for me. Amen.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 14: Named and Known
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: