The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Surviving and Thriving in the Wilderness

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 1: The Wilderness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CharlesFalcone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Surviving and Thriving in the Wilderness Reply with quote

It was helpful to read the many comments from other students concerning “Wilderness” as a metaphor for the call to ministry. Some Students interpreted the wilderness as representative of “God”, “the Church”, “Ministry”, “Modern Culture” or ones “Spiritual Life”. In the widest sense, however, it’s possible to interpret the metaphor of Wilderness as a symbol of how to survive and thrive through the challenges of life. In the Middle East, the Wilderness is a barren, hot, desert, with little or no moisture. Bedouins must constantly search for food, water and shelter. They must think ahead for the livelihood of their families and their livestock. They must know what direction they are walking or wind up walking in circles. Out of their “chaos” they must find “meaning”. Indeed to be a shepherd in this environment one needs to have resilience, determination and “heart”.

How does one thrive in the wilderness? The lesson I am learning is that I thrive because of God’s providence, humility, a teachable spirit, a healthy sense of fear and reverence for the difficulties of life. When I look back on my calling, I have some perspective. I came to faith in my 20’s. I pursued seminary and Church staff positions for ten years after that. I was quite thankful to be ordained when I was 35. I had no idea that It would take me that long, but again I am thankful that God led me all the way. I would say as Christians, our calling is to face the desert of life through the Christian faith. To be “Christ led” in this life, is to be led past the force and influence of sin which can destroy us! I would also say that it is God’s prerogative to offer to save us through faith in Jesus Christ. God is not obligated to give us a great career, a vibrant ministry, a happy marriage or any other ideal that we may think we should have. We need to work on these things with humility and grace, like the Bedouin who cares for his sheep in the shadows of moisture in the wilderness.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 1: The Wilderness
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: