The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

A Look at SHepherding

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jameswhitusgcts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: A Look at SHepherding Reply with quote

Review of Shepherds After My Own Heart

I just finished Shepherds After My Own Heart by Dr. Tim Laniak and his work to be a profound look at the metaphor of Shepherding that is so prevalent in the Biblical literature. I found his work to be exegetically sound and well researched. He did a through job of expounding on and the original context of the act of shepherding, and yet crossed the hermaneutical bridge and made it relevant to the modern reader. This work is written for both the academic and the lay person. I believe the Laniak does a great job of writing to both groups.
His work starts with a look at the role of the shepherds in the Ancient Near East. I believe that Laniak’s work represented the importance of this metaphor in the context of this time and place. He does a great job of explaining the role of the shepherd in the ANE as well as the reason why the kings and leaders of the ANE time period would use this imagery as a portrait of themselves.
He then moves to the Old Testament time period and agin addresses the role and imagery of the Shepherd. In particular, his excurses of Psalm 23 was thorough and quite informative. He agin brought the meaning of this passage to the modern reader. Additionally, I thought his work pertaining to the prophets, especially Ezekiel, was well done and informative. The look at the role of the shepherd through the lens of the Old Testament was the strength of this work.
The third major section of his work, the New Testament, was through as well. Although not treated to the depth of the Old Testament, Laniak still does an admirable job of relating this metaphor to life and work of Jesus Christ. He further expands on the meaning of this metaphor as it relates to the epistles and finally the book of Revelation.
Overall, this is an excellent look at this important metaphor of the shepherd. Laniak has created a profound work - one that engages both the lay person and the academic. His work is well researched, thorough, and yet approachable. I recommend this work for any person in leadership who is looking to understand what it really means to lead in a biblical manner.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: