The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Dying in order to receive and offer life

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 24: A Living Sacrifice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RonJulian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Dying in order to receive and offer life Reply with quote

Dr. Laniak wrote, "Whether in physical death or as a 'living sacrifice,' we are called to death. Only in that death is resurrection life available to others" (p. 167).

On reflecting on today's reading, I was reminded of what Jesus said in John 12:24, "I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds." On another occasion Jesus said that if we lose our life for him and the sake of the gospel, we will save it (Mark 8:35).

This is one of those paradoxes of Scripture. To have life, to offer life to others, I must die, die every day. I so often resist dying. However, the image today of the quiet sheep waiting to be slaughtered, reminds us of how Jesus died, and is to me my example of how I am to die to attitudes, habits, and possessions that keep me from the daily death that Jesus demands of me.

Lord Jesus, help me in new ways to understand your death for me and for all those around me, and help me to learn from your death what it means for me to die each day to myself in order that I may receive your life and offer it to others. Amen.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 24: A Living Sacrifice
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: