The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Compassion and Justice

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 22: Justice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diane Carter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Compassion and Justice Reply with quote

The quote from Mother Theresa, “When I helped the poor, I was called a saint. But when I asked why they were poor, I was called a communist” was a startling reminder to me that we are called by God to proclaim as well as to do, to be prophetic as well as pastoral. Often, as I reflect upon past opportunities to speak out on issues of justice, I, like Mother Theresa, have found that I am lead to seek justice as a result of the compassion a particular person or situation elicits in my heart.
I have also observed, after years of leading short-term mission projects, how often both the youth and adults I serve with are moved to start awareness groups, lead food drives, reach out more in our own area communities and generally become more aware of the needs around them. The compassion in their hearts drives them toward justice, often with amazing results.
I have often been chastised for leading mission projects because, as I am told, the money needed to send our group could have been used more effectively if given directly to the people in need. Each time, I patiently explain that the money we spend should be thought of as an investment, not a purchase. We are not simply spending the money on airfare, accommodations and food, we are investing in the experience of each individual on that project. We do so in the hope that their hearts will be moved with compassion as a result of their efforts, and they will return home with a new sense of justice and a motivation to make an even greater difference than even that original money would have had it been directly sent.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 22: Justice
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: