The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Accountability

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 16: While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corinthpastorbob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Accountability Reply with quote

One phrase that hit me in this chapter was the “unaccountable solitude” of watchmen. Modern pastoral work in virtually every setting includes a significant amount of “unaccountable” time. Even in episcopal polities where there is theoretically a great deal of oversight and accountability for the local church pastor, that accountability is likely to happen through voluntary reporting. In other words, the pastor who chooses to use his or her time unwisely can do so without reprisal or negative effect, except (a) in personal relationship to God and conscience, and (b) in loss of integrity and effectiveness in ministry – which normally has little consequence in the short term until its cumulative effect destroys the pastor spiritually or professionally or both. Because I am too aware of the magnetism of sin in its various forms, I must choose to make myself accountable to my wife, to my colleagues, to lay leaders in the congregation, and even to parameters and checkpoints I establish on my own. Unaccountable solitude carries too many risks.
tsl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Accountability Reply with quote

I appreciate your comments Bob. One of the most difficult transitions we often need to make when we start a church or business is the forming of a board that will be "over" us. It's an ongoing challenge for any organizational leader to carry so much of the vision and burden but still to submit to the oversight of those who are ultimately responsible. This is true for pastors in various polities and for presidents of non-profit companies. The vestry, board, elders, or trustees may be less informed, less involved, and less committed, but they form a divinely appointed umbrella of accountability. We can help them hold us accountable or we can cultivate the solitude that will one day be our undoing.
Oleander#1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Accountability Reply with quote

While in the desert, God can and does breath fresh life into those seemingly dead or inactive situations - having unaccountable solitude can be in today's climate very dangerous - as it can be a time when the enemy seizes the opportunity to attack our character/ministry integrity.

Personally, I enjoy "space" a little quiet time just to unwind and reflect - mind you that is not always possible with my current schedule. And wherever and whenever possible we should take a break, get away, even if it is just to recharge.

From a health perspective, complete isolation or solitude can cause what is termed "sensory deprivation" - where you lose track of time and your mind can start wondering - it actually consumes the time we call our own.

Without the discipline of the Desert Fathers such as Jerome, the Essenes, Anthony of Egypt, Basil the Great - who intentional left society in search for a more pure and intense life of prayer and asceticism - most of us would not survive long periods of solitude.

After reading While Shepherds Watch their Flocks - it is abundantly clear that, "a good has to be near the flock" (p. 257) in order to provide the care, protection and provisions necessary to preserve the flock. As under-shepherds we are accountable to the Chief Shepherd and responsible for those entrusted to our charge - if we serve faithfully, one day we'll hear "Well Done enter into My rest."
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 16: While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: