The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Shepherd in Psalm 23

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liehsu07059

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: Shepherd in Psalm 23 Reply with quote

Psalm 23 is so famous that it has been used and referenced in all different occasions from wedding to funeral services; and from people in trouble, to those who in happiness because The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. Before reading this book, I looked at Psalm 23 mostly with a consumer mindset, that is, what God will do for me, God is the shepherd and we are His sheep, we are always on the receiving of God’s blessing.

This book [Shepherds After My Own Heart] helped me to look at Psalm 23 differently, rather than just me as God’s sheep, I now read the Psalm from shepherd standpoint, that is, what is my responsibility as a shepherd to minister the congregation, the flock, which God has entrusted on me. While looking after the condition and growth of a flock, I as a good shepherd should also be [caring about the flock], [attentiveness to the needs and problems of the flocks].

To be able to do that, I need to build up lots of skills in order to be a good shepherd, or be a good under-shepherd for the Lord. That is, a good shepherd minister like David need know how to feed the flock with the best foods he can find for them, which is the Word or God; he needs to be knowledgeable enough with the environment and direction to lead the flock to proper pasture; and have a good training to tend and oversight, to protect the flock.

Tim Laniak not only has done lots of academic research on shepherd and shepherding from the Old Testament and New Testament, he had also spent time in real world to understand what exactly happened when shepherds looking after their flocks, he said that on page 13 [My most illumination experiences came, however, during field work among the Bedouin in Jordan, Israel and Sinai. My life has been immeasurably enriched by the stories of these remarkable people, stories made accessible by translator and friend Sate Massadeh]. Tim, thanks for the efforts and time you spent in the field, those field experience which enriched your life have opened my eyes to see a totally different and unfamiliar world, and my life got enriched by what you wrote.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: