The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

David's sin and today's shepherds

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tphilabaum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: David's sin and today's shepherds Reply with quote

In chapter 7 we are led through a helpful overview of time before, during, and after David, and what constitutes a faithful shepherd. I found helpful the comment on pg.102, following a discussion of David & Uzzah’s death, “…this passage reports a magnificent promise made to David and his lineage. God will bless David, but on God’s terms. David needed to learn “meticulous obedience” to God’s word.

But not yet. Still there is Bathsheba, and Uriah. Still we have Nathan, “…the prophet (who) succeeds in revealing just how far David had come from being the shepherd of God’s people: rather than protecting them on the battlefield, he was at home sacrificing them for his personal pleasure.” (pg 104)

So, for David, there is forgiveness, albeit with consequence. Still, in the end, he is portrayed as one who is “after God’s heart”, with his favorite son on the throne, and all well (well, at least according to the Chronicler and others who portray the ideal shepherd).

What is the role of forgiveness/consequence for today’s under-shepherds? When shepherd-pastors, who devote years to God’s people, who speak the Word in season and out of season, who are compassionate and nurturing fall into temptation, their ministries are thwarted. In my Lutheran tradition they may even be removed from the Clergy roster, unable to serve, even if such a transgression occurred way in the past.

In light of what some of my compatriots are going through, it seems like David got of easy. His unborn son (and, of course Bathsheba, Uriah, Tamar, Israelites…) bear the burden of David’s sin.

And yet, in this Christian Community, forgiveness is key. Where is the fine line for shepherds and leaders when it comes to consequences in the light of the awesome forgiving gift of Christ?
malcorn33

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: the shepherd and sin Reply with quote

I think the biggest problem for the shepherd when it comes to sin is that the shepherd has nowhere to go (except to God) when it comes to their own sin. There is a clearly felt pressure to "be perfect" and we are left with no one to reveal our sin to in order to seek help, restoration and understanding. To whom can we go? Honestly, I can't think of anyone I feel like I could go to in order to receive help. We are the ones who people come to. Who do we go to? Who is going to be a pastor to the pastors?

I serve on a staff. However there is no one on my staff I can go to. In over five years, my senior pastor has shown little interest in my personal, spiritual well-being. He has only been concerned with how I am doing with shepherding the flock and how that positively impacts his ministry. He doesn't ask me how I am doing or want to hear of my struggles. If I had things to reveal to him, I would be more concerned for my job than confident that he would compassionately empathize and help. He portrays one who always "has it all together" and expects the same from his staff. He has not modeled transparency with struggles or what to do with them when they come. He doesn't even really ever admit to any.

We are viewed as the ones who cannot and will not fall. The thought that we would also need shepherds is a foreign concept to most. So, for most of us we keep our sins hidden and try to deal with the Lord on our own. There has to be a better way. How can we change these models and patterns? What are we to do if we find ourselves in a place where we feel like we have nowhere to go?
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: