The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Let Go, Let God

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 27: My Sleepless Shepherd
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterlim23

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Let Go, Let God Reply with quote

I come from a culture where hard work and sacrifice is the normative. So much so, that what is affirmed and lifted up as role models are pastors who sleep less than 4 hours a night. What is promoted are pastors who don't take vacations and don't stay back to help his wife who just had a new born baby a day or two ago. What is affirmed are pastors who spend all day, every single day at church or doing ministry.

My question however is why and at what cost? I respect their dedication and sacrifice...I really do. However, I question their motivation. Is the reason why they work so hard because they feel that if they don't do the work, the ministry won't succeed? Is it because they believe that unless they sacrifice their livelihood the flock will not grow? Or do they truly believe that God is the ultimate shepherd? Do they truly believe that their flock is not their own but God's and that God is the one who is watching and leading and protecting? I wonder.

I believe that we as "under-shepherds" of God do need to be diligent and hard working. However, I don't believe God wanted us to sacrifice our well-being, our families, our health. In fact, God gave us the sabbath so that we can find rest from our responsibilities of being under-shepherds. How is rest possible? Its possible when we understand that "He who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep" and that "Unless the Lord watches over the city the watchmen stand in vain."

Simply put, be diligent, work hard, give everything that I have but ultimately I need to Let Go and Let God.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 27: My Sleepless Shepherd
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: