The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Tough Love

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 23: The Rod
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterlim23

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Tough Love Reply with quote

I finally saw what a shepherd's rod looked and felt like. It was about the size of a billy club with a round nob on the end. It was hard, dense and it felt like it would seriously cause damage if wielded. Simply put, its a weapon. But it was a defensive weapon used to protect the flock from predators but it was also a tool used to keep the flock in line, to bring upon it discipline.

As a pastor, I don't like yielding my "rod" but if I didn't then I'd be a really poor pastor. I am also a father of two little boys. I love my boys! I enjoy spending time with them, hanging out, wrestling, playing sports and just flat out having a great time. However, my boys are not perfect and there are times when they do really "dumb" and disrespectful things and I need to, I have to discipline them. I don't enjoy disciplining my boys. It breaks my heart. However, if I don't discipline them, am I really loving them?

In the same way, God is calling me to discipline my congregation when it is necessary. In the same way, I don't enjoy disciplining my flock, however, if I don't discipline them, am I really loving them?

The Hebrew writer says, "Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For that son is not disciplined by his father? If you are not disciplined...then you are illegitimate children and not true sons" (12:7 - 8). Likewise, if I don't discipline my flock, then in reality, they are not my flock and I am not their shepherd. However, to say that I am their shepherd, then in love, when it is called upon, I must wield the rod.
garyh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I assess my role as a pastor I have to think of situations when discipline was needed as a means of loving someone and protecting them from themselves all at the same time. It seems like pastors are expected to be passive and non-confrontational. I do not see that in the Chief Shepherd. I have gotten better at frankness and candor and telling people what they need to hear vs. what they want to hear. As a result I feel as though I have earned the respect of more people. It has in some way cost me in terms of people worshipping elsewhere but I have made that a secondary issue. Speaking the truth in love always leads to freedom. There was a time when I would delegated such discipline like a principal of a high school making the assistant principal the disciplinarian. I have found this to be immature on my part. Fellow elders that I serve with have tried to step in at times as a means of shielding me as the pastor from confrontation. While initially, this seemed appealing-this is a wrong way to go. The rod is a necessary component to pastoral ministry. I think about the early church disciplining with ex-communication. That had weight back then. If you were out of the church there was no other option. Now we have churches on many corners. This form of discipline doesn't seems to carry the same weight in today's culture. Nonetheless-tough love is for the overall good of the church and only strengthens the church's witness.
Conversely, knowing that the scripture says that a "wise man is open to instruction" must certainly apply to me. I have a need for someone to open up to--someone who can call my bluff's, hold me accountable--someone that has the freedom to confront and even "discipline" if warranted. This devotion encouraged me to continue to confront wrongdoing in love and to defend the church. I am encouraged to utilize the rod in appropriate ways going for wars
Gary Hewins
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 23: The Rod
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: