The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Thy staff comforts me.

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 13: The Staff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GCTSgcowper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Thy staff comforts me. Reply with quote

Day 13: The Staff. I was reminded about the staff being a source of comfort while I was on call as hospital volunteer chaplain last week. Dr. Laniak points out that “The most subtle use of the staff is to “be in touch” with someone who may just need a word of encouragement or a hug”.
Being a part of the on-call staff at our local hospital allows me to “be in touch” as a shepherd to hurting people. Strangers are suddenly faced with traumatic circumstances, which interrupt the rhythm and flow of life. When they are at the end of themselves, they call out to God often through the services of the staff chaplains.
While on call at the hospital this past week I had the opportunity to experience the effects of, “thy staff comforts me” in the following situations:
On Monday, I gathered around a hospital bed of a 92 year old lady who had suddenly died. Her three adult children and family huddled around me sobbing as we prayed for comfort from that great shepherd of the sheep. The lady’s husband happened to be in the hospital on the floor below. The family needs assistance in breaking the news to their Dad. They were seeking God’s guidance, prodding, and words of direction.
On Tuesday, I stood in the hall peering through the glass with Hank as the Code Blue Team tried to revive his 49 year old wife who had just experienced a stroke and possible bleeding in her brain. The ministry of God’s presence surprisingly offered comfort when there were no words, which could be said.
On Wednesday the words “thy staff they comfort me” leapt off the page as I read the 23rd Psalm with the family of a 60 year old burn victim who was lying beside us gasping for his last breath.
On Thursday, I celebrated as two new babies were brought into the world and my local flock. The fathers, mothers, and babies were bonding as I offered celebratory prayers of thanksgiving to the giver of life.
On Friday, I was the recipient of many prayers as my son was undergoing surgery for a collapsed lung. I needed the comfort and support of the hospital pastoral care staff. I appreciated God’s comfort through the prayers of his people.
Throughout the week of March 22- March 26th God was with me as I was on call at the hospital. His staff was there to prod me, to direct me. To comfort, console, cry with, celebrate with, and comfort me in my time of ministry and concern.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 13: The Staff
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: