The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

One last question

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samkellum

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: One last question Reply with quote

There's one more difficulty I'm having with the God is our Shepherd metaphor (okay, "difficulty" is probably the wrong word. It's an intriguing counterpoint). As we've seen clearly in Scripture and in Dr. Laniak's book, God our Shepherd offers us protection, provision and guidance. And experience, of course, bears this out as well. Jesus specifically calls Himself our "Good Shepherd" in John chapter 10. But doesn't this metaphor fall really flat in light of cost of discipleship verses?

Luke 9:58 "Jesus replied, 'Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.'"

Luke 9:23 "Then he said to them all: 'If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.'"

Acts 9:16 "I will show him how much he must suffer for my name."

While this last one refers specifically to Saul of Tarsus immediately after his conversion, it is representative of other verses that promise suffering to all of the Lord's sheep. So how do we reconcile our comfort in God's promises of protection, provision and guidance with Christ's warning that those who truly follow Him can expect to suffer?
tphilabaum

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam (et al)- yes, what does protection by the Good Shepherd mean?

Does it mean that, like unto a shepherd of sheep, we are led only to green pastures, that our water needs are appropriately cared for, that we have no troubles? I know that some who hold on to Psalm 23 believe that.

But I also find comfort that the promise is that I will not fear, "even in the valley of the shadow of death", assuming that I will be in that valley, as well as in the promise that God prepares the table even while I am in the midst of enemies.

Shadow of death & enemies - life is not all cherries. So, for me as a "sheep" the comfort comes that in the midst of that stuff, the Good Shepherd is present with what I need.

Also, if I am an undershepherd, then I better get used to long nights outside, hot days in the sun, battling lions and tigers and bears at the same time that I am a sheep.

I long for the Resurrection!
samkellum

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: 23rd Psalm in Roxbury Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Tim.

"... Prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies" reminds me of lunch at Stash's, heh-heh. But despite the dicey neighborhood, I'm glad that Buffalo chicken stromboli is only days away.

Looking forward to seeing you,

Sam
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: