The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

With Them Every Day?

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 14: Named and Known
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gcts\mmccrum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: With Them Every Day? Reply with quote

I love being a pastor. I enjoy giving care to the people I shepherd. This chapter raises the necessity of a shepherd caring for his sheep every moment of every day. When I'm not able to care for hurting members of our flock, as I think I should, or make that encouraging phone call, I feel like I'm not being a good pastor. I read the opening paragraph of Day 14 and I struggle with the statement "If a shepherd is not with his sheep everyday, then he shouldn't be a shepherd." The burden of keeping an eye on the flock every moment of every day can be overwhelming. Yes, the sheep need to be counted, and they must be known, led, fed and protected...So, if I'm not in touch with my members every day, does this mean that I am a poor pastor? How far can we take the shepherd motif and apply it to a pastor of a church? What about "days off," vacation or time for family?...I need to think of more creative ways to make touches, i.e. e-mail, my space, notes, etc...With so many people and good things seeking my attention, I need to work smarter, not harder...
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 14: Named and Known
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: