The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

The invisible predator

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 18: Facing the Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill H

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: The invisible predator Reply with quote

The Arabs have a saying,”The lions den is never without bones.” (p.128) Scripture identifies the predatory nature of the enemy of our souls, Satan.” The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” (John 10:10) “Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.” (1 Peter 5:8) As leaders in the North American church, we need to remind ourselves that the church is not merely a human enterprise built on leadership skills, business acumen and a good doze of the entrepreneurial spirit. The church is a divine organism, which faces supernatural resistance from the kingdom of darkness. Jesus’ ministry involved a clash of kingdoms and Jesus was acutely aware that the evil one is destructively focussed on thwarting leaders. Jesus spoke to Peter:
“31"Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat. 32But I have prayed for you, Simon that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers." (Luke 21:31-32)
Leaders need to learn from the old warrior of the boxing arena, Joe Louis. Louis was a champion boxer with a remarkable record. He fought seventy-one fights and only lost one. He had twenty-five successful championship defences. He was asked to reveal the secret of his success.
Louis’ response was,” I study my opponent so I’m never surprised, and I stay on the offensive.” Know your enemy and stay on the offensive. Framed in Pauline language: “In order that Satan might not outwit us. For we are not unaware of his schemes.” (2 Cor 2:11)
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 18: Facing the Lions
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: