The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

His choice!

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 3: Called to Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill H

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: His choice! Reply with quote

Psalm 78:70-72
70 He chose David his servant
and took him from the sheep pens;
71 from tending the sheep he brought him
to be the shepherd of his people Jacob,
of Israel his inheritance.
72 And David shepherded them with integrity of heart;
with skilful hands, he led them.
This reading caused me to reflect on my calling. The key phrase that prodded me was “He chose David”. David experienced the call of God and a divine relocation from sheep pens to shepherding a nation. There was both continuity and a discontinuity in this movement. There was a clear call. This reading stirred something deep in me about the call of God. I am one who has battled with burn out and succumbed to depression and who was wounded in the battlefield. I seriously contemplated walking away from vocational ministry a couple of years ago. However, I have been haunted by a call.Laniak asks some piercing questions.
“Can we recall an occasion when a specific personal mission was planted in our hearts?”
“Did an undeniable sense of unique destiny in the Kingdom of God surface during a particular season in life?”
These questions and the recounting of David’s dramatic call were powerful. I was reminded of and confronted by the power and mystery of the call of God.” This spiritual calling, this destiny, this identity is more transcendent than a job description.”
Jesus said,” You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.” (John 15:16)
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 3: Called to Care
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: