The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

A Reason to Stay Up All Night

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 17: Recognizing the Wolves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdavelee

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: A Reason to Stay Up All Night Reply with quote

As I read this devotion, I was struck by how relentless the pitched battle is between shepherds and wolves. Every night vigilance matters because the wolves don't take any breaks.

"On a good night the wolves lose the battle. When the dawn arrives, they give a distinct, haunting howl. They will wait patiently until the next night."

The tension of guarding against their advances must make the shepherd's night watch seem an eternity. Yet even as the victory of a night without loss draws to an end, he must hear in his mind, "One down, many more nights to go."

I've struggled with insomnia since my sophomore year of college (1986). I've spent many nights in sleepless tossing. I've also voluntarily surrendered countless hours of sleep to the pressing demands of ministry. Yet looking back I wonder how many of those hours burning the midnight oil were really spent keeping watch over my flock vs. just keeping busy.

"There is no margin for carelessness."

I can't help wondering if, for all the activity that fills my days as a busy pastor, some of that busyness represents carelessness and distraction. How many of my sheep have been lost to the wolves while I was tied up doing something else.

And as if a night spent looking outside the pen was not exhausting enough, some of the wolves don coats of wool and threaten the sheep incognito from within the camp. Lord, help me to have a watchful and discerning eye. Help me to be more attentive to my flock and not fail to keep watch in the night.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 17: Recognizing the Wolves
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: