The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

The gift of work and sleep

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 27: My Sleepless Shepherd
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent Kipfer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: The gift of work and sleep Reply with quote

The work of a shepherd is never done – whether it is in the home or in the church! I am grateful for the reminder that leading requires both “hard work” and “letting go.” At times I am tempted to work as if everything depended on me; other times I am tempted to “let go” prematurely. It is interesting how sleep can be either an expression of neglect or of faith! Without the experience of hard work, my letting go feels like a cop-out, an unwillingness to face the deeper challenges in ministry, an abdication. Without rest – and a release of my burden to Jesus - work becomes oppressive and caring becomes a chore.

For some reason, my congregation thinks that I work harder than I do! Despite my protests to the contrary, many persist in thinking that I am prone to overwork. I work an average of 44 hours/week – and yet my lay leaders regularly ask, “Are you sure you are taking enough time for your family?” I feel very blessed by this – and see it as expression of my flock’s love and care for their shepherd. I want to honour their trust – for the sake of my family, the church and the kingdom of God.

In the end, I am accountable to the Chief Shepherd of the flock. I praise God that he is the sleepless one – and not me.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 27: My Sleepless Shepherd
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: