The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

A great picture!

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 18: Facing the Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cliff Fletcher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: A great picture! Reply with quote

I think the picture on the first page of this devotion is excellent. I've never seen one like it. It's terrible and beautiful. I actually spent some quiet time thinking through the picture. The eyes look right at you - almost making you feel like food! You can just see his two sharp teeth under his big tongue - again making you feel like food! And just in case there was any question, the tongue pulls it all together: to this lion you look edible. There is tremendous truth in the picture wherein I can tend to think of Satan as a stong military campaigner, a general (like a Hitler), but the picture with animal-force reminds me that he's really only a terrible animalistic killer looking to satisfy his evil appetite. That great big tongue is all about his appetite. I guess everything in the sinful realm, all that we are about outside of God is about our appetites.

As I considered the picture I remembered Scripture that related to the prowling lion ready to devour. I remembered the Scripture passages and looked intently at the picture and it gave me a chill. To a certain group of spiritual beings I really am a target, a kill to make, a food to devour. But not to God. Not only would God remind me of who I am to Him, but that part of my identity is to not be beaten by the fear of a prowling-tongue-licking lion, or even by an attacking lion, but to stand my ground in Christ. And to go after and into Satan's territory in Christ's authority.

Today I prayed with someone (territory recalimed for God); tonight we're hosting a parent info night about culture and media and faith (making people aware of the prowling lion); and there's a prayer time later on (practicing Christ's authority).

I don't think I'll get a poster size picture of the lion licking his lips, but I'm thinking it would be a good discipline to open the book to the picture every once and a while to remember a reality I don't like thinking about: someone wants to eat me for lunch!
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 18: Facing the Lions
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: