The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Echoing the voice of the Good Shepherd

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 10: Lost and Found
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent Kipfer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Echoing the voice of the Good Shepherd Reply with quote

I am challenged by Mrs. Aref’s relentless search for her lost sheep. She was successful because of her persistence, presence and word. I am particularly impressed by the way that her lost ewe was able to recognize her voice – an illustration of the truth which Jesus emphasizes in John 10: the sheep of the Good Shepherd know and listen to his voice.

It seems to me that when we are searching for lost sheep, it is essential that they hear an echo of the Good Shepherd’s voice in us. If not, we come across only as a hired hand – or even worse: a thief. In the past, I have read John 10 in the context of my own (and the church’s) relationship with Jesus and our own need to listen to his voice well. I had not considered how crucial these insights are for the evangelistic mission of the church. If Jesus puts priority on the inclusion of sheep outside “this fold” – and if these sheep have the capacity to listen to his voice (John 10:16), then for our proclamation to be effective, it must surely reflect something of the cadence, rhythm and tone of the chief Shepherd’s voice. I easily remember that the content of my message must be faithful to his word; how well does the quality of my voice match his? When it happens, it can only be by the grace of the Holy Spirit.

Am I ready to pursue lost sheep with as much determination as a model shepherdess like Mrs. Aref? How well do I echo the passion, care and love of the Good Shepherd’s voice? When I am near one who is lost, do they detect a hint of the presence of the One who laid down his life for his sheep? I pray that the Lord will make it so.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 10: Lost and Found
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: