The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Cracks in the staff

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darrenjpollock

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:06 am    Post subject: Cracks in the staff Reply with quote

Laniak gives us a detailed exposition of the tools available to the shepherds in his review of Psalm 23 (p. 112); crooks, staffs and shorter rods all come into play and have their use helping easily frightened sheep move through valleys and mountains without fear. However, as we progressed through the material, I reflected on the catastrophe when the correct tools were in the wrong hands. Or even worse, the wrong tools in the wrong hands for shepherding.

It pains me to say many of the most inspirational pastors and ministry leaders who helped me to faith as a lost eighteen-year-old are no longer in ministry or have crashed out. Laniak was helpful in his honest appraisal as he reviewed the disappointing issue of bad shepherds, most notably in his reflection on Ezekiel 22 (p.147).

I often wonder how I, with my sins, biases, anxieties, and stumbles, can embody the boundless love of the eternal Shepherd to benefit the flock. And I know while the book is clear that a good undershepherd is not a faux pretence at flawlessness, it is still sobering to reflect on the dire situation when bad shepherds arise over God's people. Ultimately, they devour the flock through selfish gain, false teaching, and abandonment, which is always a tragedy for the flock (p.149).

While the hired shepherds were to be self-sacrificing, Ezekiel contrasts those who show no regard for the flock's needs, seeking only to feed themselves first. This condemnation is applied to evil priests, prophets and kings. And leaves us longing for a true shepherd after God's heart. The Shepherd of Israel. Therefore, as pastors longing to pass under the rod of the Lord (Ezek.20:36), may we guard our hearts and lives to the calling we have received to serve well under the shepherd, and may we resist ‘the divine preference for human agency as we are enlisted into the co-mission of God. Our theology must inform us that in his image we pastor (rule) with him, for him and under him” (p.248).
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: