The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

God's Kind of Leader

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 37: Authority and Abuse
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mferrini

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:36 pm    Post subject: God's Kind of Leader Reply with quote

As we enter into another election season, I am considering what character qualities reveal the best leaders. If I am to vote for someone, if I am to choose an individual to serve as my representative in the highest offices of government, I would need to process what I value in that individual’s nature. Then again, taking this further than the realm of politics, the same questions of integrity would need to be ascertained regarding all aspects of leadership: in the church, in the classroom, in the boardroom, and in the home. Before I follow a leader, I want to know where and, just as importantly, how we are going.
I would be wise to ask any prospective leader about their intentions: are they seeking the power of this position for their own benefit or for the benefit of those who are being led? There are many who seek executive control of an organization as a means of advancing themselves, whether it be for financial gain or for increased popularity. The truth is that there are those – in every section of society – who are leading for what they can get and not for what they can give. But the Bible tells those who follow Christ that they should be a different kind of shepherd.
Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, serving as overseers – not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not greedy for money, but eager to serve; not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock. 1 Peter 5:2-3 (NIV84)
I desire to be a willing, eager, and gentle shepherd. This desire leads me, in the church and in the home, to lead others in accordance with God’s word. As Peter states, leading is a decision of the will and is not based on lineage or destiny; it is a choice a leader makes every day and with every decision. He also tells those who seek to shepherd that the role will require a servant’s heart; the shepherd asks what she can do for others and not what she can gain from others. Finally, the shepherd reflects the Good Shepherd, Jesus, and does not pressure those under him to conform to his will; the biblical leader declares that God’s will be done.
As a leader, part of my daily prayer needs to include the above verses. With so many who follow a worldly model of leadership, I must remain close to the one who shepherds me perfectly. When those around me use force and volume or engage in insult and injury to win their argument, I will choose to remain calm and quiet, knowing who has real authority over every church, committee, corporation, classroom, and country. Everything I have is from the Lord, including every position of power and every title of leadership. May He increase and may I decrease, even as I stand before His people. May those I am called to lead see that He is truly in command.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 37: Authority and Abuse
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: