The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Redeemable

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott Vance

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Redeemable Reply with quote

I must admit that I was caught off guard by Laniak’s statement regarding the people’s request for a king in 1 Samuel 8. Laniak states, “The interchange that follows reveals ambivalence on the part of YHWH. He seems alternatively opposed and favorable to the new institution.” (Timothy S. Laniak, 2006, Shepherd after My own Heart, p.97)

Laniak notes three concerns; that God is more opposed to the intent than the content of the request, that God is opposed to Saul personally, and that God is ambivalent about the institution of kingship in general. Laniak then concludes of the whole interchange that the request of the people was sinful, but the institution was redeemable.

The redeemable aspect of the institution of kingship as shepherd leader is wholly dependent upon the king’s understanding of their role as an under-shepherd who is dependent upon the rule of God, who is the divine Shepherd of the flock.

The king is called by God and is held accountable to God. Israel’s kings are blessed, and the nation thrives as long as the king understands that they too are a member of God’s flock and shepherd on His behalf. When the king acts contrary to God’s word and abuses their position as under-shepherd, the nation suffers, and the king is held accountable. Still, even then, the institution itself is redeemable if the king repents and seeks the Lord’s face, as exemplified in David’s life.

The reality is that under-shepherds will fail in one way or another to varying degrees. The failure could be personal in nature or a failure to carry out the essential responsibilities of under-shepherds in knowing, caring for, leading, and feeding (discipling) the flock. The good news is that failure doesn’t have to be final in the life of the under-shepherd if the under-shepherd repents and is willing to be held accountable moving forward. That’s one of the things that I deeply appreciate about my denomination’s stance when it comes to discipline. In ECO, “The purpose of church discipline is redemptive… (ECO Rules of Discipline 1.1).”

While it is true that no part of human life is untouched by sin, the good news is that no part of human life is off limits to the redeeming work of God.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: