The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Warning: This book could be dangerous to your health

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Margaret

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Warning: This book could be dangerous to your health Reply with quote

I was recently working on some background info in Luke 12:35-48, the parable of the coming of the Son of Man. Having just read the first chapter of While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks (for the third time), and thinking about the importance of having faithful, responsible, mature, leaders in the church I was struck by the implications and similar warnings toward shepherds of God’s people.
In first century society there were varying degrees of responsibility among servants. The managers in charge of the servants were servants themselves and held greater responsibility, therefore greater accountability. The servant who begins to serve himself and mistreat those for whom he is responsible, and is found doing so at the master’s return, will be cut apart (the Greek word for ‘cut apart’ can literally mean cut in two. It is used figuratively to mean severely punished, BDAG, 253.), assigned to the same place as unbelievers. The servant who knows his master’s will but is found unready or not doing the master’s work will be severely punished; and the servant who does not know what the master had required out of him but is found doing things deserving of punishment will also be punished, but not as severely.
I know what Ezekiel 34 says about the shepherds who are not leading with integrity. But working on this parable really struck me. Therefore your book needs a warning; those who read it are without excuse.
I don’t want to cast a dark cloud on a worthy journey. But I do think a warning is necessary. This leadership stuff is no game, no mere role, no elevated position. It is a critical and potentially fatal appointment.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: